Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Good & Bad

Hey,

I haven't written in English for a long time and I'm sure you'll notice it. It was a deliberate choice. I was a bit fed up with reading and writing ALWAYS in English. I needed to read, write and think in my own language. It was not that easy though. I wrote a piece in Italian and I didn't (still don't) like it at all. It looks like an article translated from English into Italian. I know, it's ridiculous. My Italian writings are quite "bad" ... I just don't like the way I write in my language. It sounds "fake", God knows why. Anyway, please bear with me as I need to warm up.

So the last months were good & bad at the same time. The very bad news is that one of my former classmates died. This brought a whole set of consequences and I'm still wrapping my head around all the emotions and feelings I have been dealing with. We weren't in touch anymore but it was a shock as I knew him quite well. So I met my classmates after 16 years, can you imagine? We went to visit his family, spent a whole afternoon with the parents and then plan a dinner in order to remember the "good times" The dinner was last week and we all had a BLAST. From November until last week we all had a mix of both terrible and good feelings. And now, believe it or not, I am in touch again with people I haven't heard from for a long time. We call each other, chat, write etc. It's great, I mean, it came as a surprise to me.

Despite the above mention shock + surprise, life went on. Our life together is good and our first Christmas together was great. We spent it with my family and I cooked lunch and dinner! Wow, quite an effort but definitely worth it (I hope so!). Big Boy is always demanding and we love him more then ever ;)  

On a more professional note, I had, yet again, good and (almost) bad news. Good news: brand new stuff published, involvement in projects and (this came one hour ago) in an important editorial board. So the same old story is... can't you guess? I am more and more involved in international networks and still struggle to get a stable position here. Sometimes it's just too difficult to be fine with it. It's NOT ok! Anyway, that's life and there's nothing I can do except for moving abroad which is not an option for now. Either we move or I cope with it. I have to confess that I'm not as passionate for my job as I used to be. However, the projects are exciting and I'm looking forward working with my colleagues. I'm sure this WILL change my perspective. 

I'll travel more and be very busy, especially from February, but this won't stop me from updating this scrapbook.

Well, I guess this is all for now.
It's good to be back!

2 comments:

  1. And it's so good to have you back, Lola!

    I can only imagine how distressing this was - but, on the bright side, because of this untiemly death you have reconnected with old friends and that is a true blessing.

    I can't believe that you write in Italian as if it has been translated from English. After all, you speak and read Italian every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    thanks! It's good to read your comments :-)

    Yeah, definitely a blessing.

    Well, perhaps it's just an impression. I don't know why but I don't like it!

    ReplyDelete